Sunday, October 21, 2012

Yarn Review: Knit Picks Galileo

I haven't done any yarn reviews before, but I've fallen in love with this new yarn, and feel I must share.

Knit Picks recently introduced a new yarn: Galileo. It's a 50/50 Merino/Bamboo blend in a sport weight. I'm using it to make a large shawl. It's a wonderful yarn. It has the soft warmth of Merino and the silky coolness of Bamboo. The colors are terrific. I'm using "Luminous", which is actually a bit darker than the photo on the website; it's a rich teal. Galileo glides smoothly on the needles, and has great stitch definition even on the size 8 needles I'm using. I chose it because I wanted to see if it was similar to Caron Spa, which is a DK weight bamboo/acrylic blend. I like Galileo better, because Spa is a bit splitty, and Galileo doesn't have that problem. This yarn is $4.99 for a 50 gram ball. Considering the quality of the yarn, I think that is a very reasonable price. I'm going to save up and get enough for a sweater.

This photo is of my current project. It's not blocked, and the sun was shining on the piece. I'll post more pics of the shawl when it's finished and blocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!