Monday, October 18, 2010

Back to knitting...

Once my deck was done, and I'd finished test-knitting my friend's design, I decided it was time to learn a new knitting skill.  Since I recently learned Magic Loop, and I've printed out a bunch of gorgeous sock patterns, I chose to learn two-at-a-time sock knitting.  I was going to go ahead and learn it with Bayerische, but I figured that might be tempting fate a bit, to learn a new technique on a very complicated design....so I'll save Bayerische for next.  I searched through all of my sock patterns, and picked "Popped".  I had printed it out months ago, when it was a free pattern.  Now it's available on Knit Picks: http://www.knitpicks.com/cfpatterns/pattern_display.cfm?ID=10178220
The yarn I'm using is Fortissima Socka(superwash wool/nylon), in a nice dark gray.  I searched online for video tutorials demonstrating the technique for knitting two socks at a time, on one circular....but I couldn't find any.  So I looked for photo tutorials, which are almost as good.  I found this one, and it was very helpful to me:
Once I got past the first few rounds, when everything was fiddly and confusing, it got easy.  It's not much more complicated than Magic Looping one sock.  You just have to make sure that you're working with the right ball or skein of yarn, and not twisting them up together too much.  So far, so good...

 Here's a closeup of the stitch pattern.  Looks very subtle until you put it on...
 Once you put it on, the stitch pattern really opens up!
Hmmm...that's probably why it's called "Popped".
Anyway, I'm almost ready for the heels now; just a few more rows.  I think I'll try to get those few rows finished today, and maybe get the heels started.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!