Sunday, March 22, 2009

Focusing on the main thing...

I love Sundays. Sunday is my favorite day of the week. I can worship God any day, and study His Word any day, but Sunday is my favorite because I get to worship and study with hundreds of other believers. It helps me to stay focused on the Main Thing. When I keep my eyes on Him, the rest of my life either falls into place or doesn't seem so important.

Today's sermon was interesting. Its title was "What does God want?" The text was from Romans 12:1-2, which says, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing and perfect will." The main points were: God wants your body, your will and your mind. We have to be more specific than "I give Him my life." That phrase is thrown around so much, and nobody really explains what it means. To give Him my body means that I will only do what gives glory to him; I won't abuse my body, because it is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. To give Him my will means that I want to want what He wants. Which means that I have to really study His word, not just skim it. To give Him my mind means that I will think about what influences I allow in my life. I won't just sit and soak up whatever comes my way. I will refuse to conform to what society says is good, or funny; and I will be transformed by the renewing of my mind. I will think about "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable...excellent or praiseworthy..." Phillippians 4:8 And when I give Him my mind, my will follows, and my body follows my will. I really liked how the Pastor brought it all full-circle.

On the knitting side of life...I have finished the top part of the sundress I'm making for my daughter; now I just have to make and add the skirt. And I still have a long way to go on my tank top. Working with fingering weight yarn and size 2 needles is very tiring for my hands, so I can't work on it very long at a time. I also have another cotton sweater to recycle. It's lime green and turquoise, with really wide stripes and a very boxy shape...very unflattering. But the colors are lovely, by themselves. Maybe my daughters would like some lacy tank tops...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!