Monday, July 6, 2009

There's something wrong with my shoulders.

At first, I thought maybe my shoulders were sore from swimming so much; you know, overuse of muscles in a way they're not used to. Well, then I realized that if that were the cause of my pain, it would have started out really bad, then got better. But this pain came on gradually, and got worse...and worse...and worse. My shoulders hurt. They feel like they're on fire. They feel swollen. The way they feel, I look in the mirror, expecting to see a woman disguised as a linebacker. Yesterday, I was doing nursery duty at church, and lifted a toddler who wanted to be held. It was all I could do to keep from joining him in screaming. Later in the day, I couldn't even lift Dolly to put her on the potty (she's still too short to climb on it herself), or carry her up the stairs to bed. Stirring pasta for dinner was painful. Hubby came to my rescue with some Advil from out in his truck, because I had run out. I think he heard my groaning and felt sorry for me. The dinner dishes are still on the kitchen counter...and on the stove...and in the sink, because I just couldn't make myself pick them up and wash them last night. I feel a little better this morning, so I think I can handle it...after I go to the store to get more Advil.

Oh, and I think I've figured out what caused this terrible pain: sleep. Since I was a child, I have slept on my side with one arm under my pillow, switching arms when I switched sides. All of a sudden, I can't do it anymore. I don't know why this is a problem now after all these years, but I'm learning to sleep on my back. I'm hoping that takes care of the problem; I hate going to the doctor. If I'm still hurting in a few days, though, I will go to the doctor. I just hope she won't think I'm crazy...or faking...since there's no external signs that anything's wrong with me...except that I can't lift my 25-pound child.

In knitting news, I have finished number 3 of my big project. I need to go buy yarn for number 5, so that I can do the last two simultaneously. In the meantime, I'm making(sewing) ammo belts for Hubby and also for his dad. They both love to hunt. I didn't realize the belts were so cheap in the catalog, and he didn't realize they were so expensive to make. It cost about $20 for the supplies for each one; he could have bought them (ready-made) for $10 each. Live and learn. ☺ I had already started the work when we discussed the cost, so I might as well finish.

2 comments:

  1. I would say you have inflammation brought on by too much knitting, or a repetitive motion. Advil will help the inflammation, or Aleve is good. Swimming in cool temps will help, do not use heat. But that's just my opinion from what you are saying. I get inflammation from too much knitting or typing at the computer.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! Not too much knitting! Anything but that! ;) I had considered that, as well. So I am taking it easy with the knitting for a few days; we'll see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!