Friday, July 29, 2011

I have a new computer!

I've been wanting a new computer for a while, but hadn't planned on buying one anytime soon.  My old computer changed my mind about that yesterday.  Actually it started Wednesday afternoon.  The girls and I were listening to music on it, and it kept overheating and shutting itself down after about ten minutes of use.  Thursday morning when I got online, the exhaust fan didn't start up, which it had been doing right away every time I opened the computer.  And there was something wrong with the screen.  Anywhere it should have been white, it was fuschia.  And anywhere it should have been black, it was bright green. 

So the girls and I took it to Best Buy.  As soon as we walked in the door, Kitty said, "Mommy needs a geek!" which made the guys standing around the door laugh.  One of them directed me to the Geek Squad desk, and the very helpful geek took a look at my machine and told me it would cost over $800 to fix it.  So I called up Hubby and let him know that it would be cheaper to buy a new one, and he gave me the go-ahead.

I picked out a Toshiba Satellite laptop.  It has Windows 7, which I'm liking much better than Vista.  It has more memory and processing power than my old one, and it has a built-in webcam, which I like because Hubby took my webcam with him to North Dakota.  We're planning on Skype-ing with him tonight when he goes to visit his dad.

So now I'm working on transferring all my files and photos and stuff from the old computer to the new one.  It's a long, arduous process, since the old computer keeps shutting down while I'm moving files to the flash drive.  And I only have small flash drives; the "bigger" one holds only 125mb.  And I have three years of photos and files to transfer. 

Anyway, I like my new computer.  It's very nice.  And I got a "Lap-Chill" thing that goes under the laptop and has fans in it to keep the computer cool.  I wish I'd gotten one of them a couple years ago; it might have extended the life of my old machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!