Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My "boring socks" are done!

I finished my "boring socks"!!! ☺ I had decided, months ago, that I wanted to get into sock-knitting, and I downloaded a bunch of beautiful sock patterns, with cables and lace. But I thought I ought to make a plain stockinette pair first, to get the techniques figured out. And I had two skeins of a variegated yarn that weren't ideal for intricate cables or lace anyway. So I started the "boring socks"; so named because working on it(the first one) was insanely boring. In fact, it was so boring that I put it away to work on more interesting projects.
Recently, as you may remember, I sorted through my hibernating projects, and almost decided to frog the first, incomplete sock. But I tried it on, and realized it was only a few inches from being done, and it was very comfy. Last Saturday I decided to learn Magic Loop, and work on the sock. And I finished it before bedtime, so I cast on the second one immediately; I've heard that's the way to prevent Second Sock Syndrome. And, compulsive knitter that I am, I was unable to knit a single stitch on any other project since then. The result is that, half a week later, I have a finished pair of very comfy socks! Having learned Magic Loop made the second sock much less boring than the first, since it went so quickly.
Vital stats on the socks: I used 2 skeins of Premier Yarns Serenity Sockweight(50%superwash wool/25%bamboo/25%nylon) in the colorway "Lavender Topaz". The picture is very true to the colors: medium blue, navy blue and grey.
The pattern is Silver's Sock Class, which is an excellent introduction to sock knitting. http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm
I can hardly wait for the weather to cool down so I can wear my new socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!