Sunday, August 8, 2010

Knittin' Socks

I decided I wanted to knit some socks, and now. ☺ Since I didn't have the size of needle I needed for Zokni, I chose another pattern that would work with the needle I have. So I'm using the Ultra Alpaca sock yarn for "Double Eyelet Rib Socks", a Wendyknits pattern. It's a toe-up pattern, as most of hers are. The lace is so simple that I don't need to look at the pattern except for toe, heel and cuff instructions, and to remember how many repeats of the lace I did on the first sock to make the second match. I've finished the first, and turned the heel of the second. If I knit steadily and don't do anything else, I might be able to finish today. Unfortunately, I do have other things that need to be done, so maybe I'll finish tomorrow or the next day. The first sock went much more quickly, because after I had finished it, everyone in the family got sick, one after the other. So I didn't have much time for knitting for a week and a half, what with feeling awful myself, and caring for family members who felt awful.
Yesterday I went to my LYS to use a discount that was going to expire today. I got 15% off my purchase, for being one of the first 99 Facebook fans of the shop. ☺ Malabrigo was excluded from the discount, or I would have gotten some of that. Instead, I got three 50gram skeins of Plymouth Yarn Company's "Happy Feet" sock yarn, in a really pretty medium blue. I'm planning on making some long, cabled, toe-up socks with it. I looked through the patterns that I have printed, and I was leaning toward using "Plaited Points" from Knitty(http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter08/PATTplaitedpoints.php), but I prefer thinner cables, so I might design my own pattern....like that surprises anyone. Haha. I found a thin, lacy cable that I really like, and I've never seen any sock patterns that use it, so I'm going to do a little swatching, and see what happens. But first, I need to finish the second Double Eyelet Rib sock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!