Sunday, May 31, 2009

Started another prayer shawl.

This morning, my pastor announced that his wife Laura has cancer. What a shock. She's young, and healthy, but she found out this week that she has colon cancer. Not what you expect to hear in a Sunday morning sermon. At the end of the service, we sang an awesome worship song; some of the lyrics are:

So I'll stand, with arms high and heart abandoned,
In awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered;
All I am is Yours.

I couldn't sing; I was crying too hard. I was reminded of my mother-in-law, who passed away about a year and a half ago, from cancer. I don't even know Laura very well, but I still felt like we were about to lose another family member. So I cried for Laura, as I attempted to pray and to worship. And, again like before, I felt God speaking to me. He told me, "Make a shawl for her."

So this afternoon, I again searched through patterns, and I debated with my myself over which color of yarn I should use. In the end, I decided to design my own pattern, using an easy lace pattern that I have memorized. And I decided to use the same yarn I had used for Rebekah and Allyson's shawl; the variegated blue recycled cotton. I've only knitted a few inches on the "Laura shawl", so I won't post pics yet. But I will after I get it about halfway done. And I intend to put the pattern on my other blog, which I'm still working on. I want to have a separate blog, just for my original designs; when it's ready, I'll link to it here.

To anyone who reads this, if you believe in the power of prayer, I'd like to ask you to join me in praying for Laura. I'll be praying with each stitch of this shawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!