Tuesday, March 22, 2011

When yarn speaks...

The other day, I decided I wanted to make something round and lacy.  I was thinking maybe a baby blanket, or a project bag.  I had a basic lace idea in mind, but when I got started I didn't like how it was turning out.  So I frogged it and started over with a simpler stitch pattern.  And then the yarn spoke to me.  It said, "Haha, I'm a snood."
I said, "No, you're not.  Nobody would knit a snood.  Or at least I wouldn't knit a snood."
It said, "I'm still a snood."
I threatened to frog it.  So it changed its mind.  "Okay, then, I'm a bag for holding a ball of yarn."
And I said, "A KIP Bag!  Now there's something I would knit!"

So here's the swirly lacy circle, waiting for the drawstrings...
 And here it is, with a ball of yarn in it!  I threaded the drawstrings through the outermost row of eyelets and cinched it up.
I used less than 50 grams for this, and it holds a 100-gram ball of yarn.  I was going to have one of the girls take a picture of me KIPing and using the bag; but I'm sick today, and the only place I went was the gym, and I don't take my knitting to the gym.  So that will have to wait for another day.

EDITED TO ADD: All three of my daughters have told me they want their own KIP Bags.  And only one of them knows how to knit. ☺

I'm wondering whether Knit Picks might be interested in a pattern like this.  It would only use one ball of yarn.  They don't have a lot of projects that use this little amount of yarn.  But they also don't have any lacy little KIP bags either.  I think I'll send a proposal, and suggest it as a free pattern, since it's so small and simple.
And then I need to make a "banana bag" for my sister.  She asked for one ages ago, and I haven't gotten it made.  And she hasn't forgotten that I promised to make one either.  I haven't been able to find a pattern for one; the closest pattern I've found is a bag for a yoga mat.  So you know what that means....another design is in the works! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!