Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Knittin' from someone else's pattern...

I'm participating in a KAL with some of my friends.  We're doing the Ginkgo Shawl by Maggie Zimmerman.  I found some lovely yarn on sale last Friday, and I couldn't wait to get started.  It's Patons Silk Bamboo, and I love it.  It's so soft and silky, and not too warm for a summer shawl.  Once I got started, I couldn't stop.  I finished it yesterday.  Most of the others haven't started.  I'm planning on getting some laceweight and making another one, so I can still KAL.  Anyway, here's my Ginkgo Shawlette.
 I followed the pattern exactly, which I almost never do.  It turned out about 48 inches wide, so it just covers my shoulders.  I think I'll make the next one bigger.
I also made the shawl pin.  I needle tatted it, using silver rayon embroidery thread.  I discovered that rayon thread is very slippery, and not very well-suited to needle tatting.  It turned out lovely, but it was a pain to work with that thread.  The stick is just a piece of dowel(the thickness of a US5 needle), sharpened and sanded.  I used a silver paint pen to make the stick match. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a G-rated blog; my children love to read the comments. Please keep this in mind when commenting. Thanks!